Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Getting back into programming

I haven't written any code in about a year, outside of a few small homework assignments. Yesterday I installed Code::Blocks and set up the Allegro library. Code::Blocks is my favorite IDE, mostly because I've been too lazy to try anything else. Allegro is a game programming library for C/C++, which handles graphics, sound, and keyboard/mouse input. It's probably got a few other functions I've never used, but those are the important ones to me.

In the near future the Allegro community may be having a Speedhack contest, wherein the participants try to program an entire game in one 72 hour long period. These are always great fun, even if they never result in me producing anything worthwhile. If the idea for another Speedhack fails to gain momentum, it will be because someone else put forward the idea of doing another TINS. TINS is exactly like Speedhack, but is not Speedhack. TINS is a recursive acronym that means, "TINS Is Not Speedhack."

Either one of these competitions will be a great way for me to jump back into programming. In the meantime, I might throw a small game or two together just for the fun of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment