Sunday, November 7, 2010

So...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if someone consistently does not talk to me, should I not make the assumption that the person in question simply does not want to talk to me?

It's been bothering me a lot, lately. There are several people who act like they like me, but then they never actually talk to me. If we run into each other on campus or if I say something to them through Facebook they'll be friendly, but they'll never initiate conversation. And that's really annoying. If someone rarely hangs out with me, never initiates conversation, and seems distant and unresponsive whenever I do talk to them, then I think it's fair to assume that this person just doesn't really like me.

I may have to do some editing on my Facebook friend's list soon.

2 comments:

  1. I dunno. I rarely initiate conversations on Facebook, or texting, or on anything really unless I'm bored. It's not because I don't like all the friends I have, but because I just don't think about it. If someone messages me or texts me I'm sure to make time to talk to them.

    Of course, I'm also the kind of person that, when I do not care for someone or do not wish to be their friend, they usually know it. I'm not very subtle in that respect. If I don't wish to hang out, I go out of my way to avoid them. This is a rare thing though. There are maybe... one or two people that I genuinely dislike enough to not talk to. Yeah, definitely two.

    Anyway, my point... people are busy. They may not know that's how you feel. Don't be trigger happy with the unfriend button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but if someone is too busy to be friends with me, why should we pretend to be friends? They may not dislike me, they may think I'm a pretty cool guy, but if months pass without hearing from them, if the only contact I have is what I initiate, how can I think anything but that they don't want to talk to me?

    I don't think any of the people I'm talking about dislike me. They're nice people, and we get along well enough when I do talk to them. But how can I count them as friends if they never initiate conversations? How can I know they wish to be my friend if they never act like it?

    I'm not trying to say they're bad people, or anything like that. I'm just saying, if they don't have the time to be friends, then how can they be friends?

    ReplyDelete